The life of Richard Branson as told through the book Losing My Virginity: How I Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way by Richard Branson
Topics discussed in this podcast:
Business is a fluid, changing substance. A mutating, indefinable thing (0:45), I just pick up the phone and get on with it (7:50), smart ways to get initial traction (9:51), to understand the entrepreneur, study the juvenile delinquent (14:19), Richard Branson's early business philosophy (14:49), the beginning of Virgin (19:00), what he learned from going to jail (23:01), the scope of Richard's ambition at 21 (24:44), a model of compatible businesses (27:00), how Richard Branson made his first fortune (29:00), how Richard Branson gets Necker Island and the idea for Virgin Airways (34:45), protecting the downside risk (38:40), Richard Branson's view on public companies (46:12), taking Virgin private, funding secured (52:00), questioning the direction of his life at 40 years old (59:54)
How you can help Founders podcast:
- Become a Founders member and get extra member only podcasts every week.
- Sign up for Founders Notes: A weekly email that helps you learn about building companies from entrepreneurs.
- Buy one of the other books featured on Founders podcast here. Amazon will send me a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.
- If you would rather listen to the book you can get two free audiobooks by trying Audible.
- Leave a review on Apple Podcasts (or anywhere you listen), take a screenshot, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will reply with podcasts that I created exclusively for reviewers.