The life of Bernie Marcus as told through the book Built From Scratch: How A Couple of Regular Guys Grew The Home Depot from Nothing to $30 Billion
Topics discussed in this podcast:
The creation of The Home Depot began with two words: "You're fired!" (0:01), blinders on focus on the customer (5:45), learning how not to manage people from Ming the Merciless (8:37), meeting Ken Langone / the prehistory of Home Depot (11:00), 81% private / 19% public partnerships (18:40), Ken sells to Ming. Predicts Ming will fire Bernie (28:30), getting fired was the best thing that ever happened (35:00), Bernie Marcus at 49 years old: little cash and a ruined reputation (38:15), how Bernie Marcus walks away from Ross Perot (38:50), the importance of equity (49:19), do not work with people who don't know how to care about other people (51:00), how they got the money to open The Home Depot (55:30), the critical importance of selling at the right price (58:32), knowing the right way to do something by seeing it done the wrong way (1:08:54), mistakes can teach us we're never as smart as we think we are (1:11:25)
How you can support Founders podcast:
- Become a Founders member and get extra member only podcasts every week.
- Sign up for Founders Notes: Podcast notes for entrepreneurs, delivered to your inbox every Sunday.
- Buy Built From Scratch: How A Couple of Regular Guys Grew The Home Depot from Nothing to $30 Billion (or one of the other books featured on Founders podcast) here. Amazon will send me a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.
- If you would rather listen to the book you can get two free audiobooks by trying Audible.
- Leave a review on Apple Podcasts (or anywhere you listen), take a screenshot, and email it to email@example.com and I will reply with podcasts that I created exclusively for reviewers.