The life of Ken Langone as told through the book I Love Capitalism: An American Story by Ken Langone.
Topics discussed in this podcast
His early life: there was never much money (3:30), Ken's first jobs (5:35), [At school] I didn't apply myself at all . I did the absolute minimum . I was too busy having fun and working at all my various jobs (12:05), further adventures in entrepreneurship (13:24), Looking for work / finding excitement (17:00), stepping out into the void / getting creative to get a job (23:50), how he starts growing a business within the firm (26:33), his first big break (28:50), You treat a customer right , and you never have to worry (32:00), A lesson about human nature and developing trust (34:45), Getting rich is one skill. Staying rich is a different skill altogether (43:10), moral of the story: who wants it the most? (48:25), Hubris and Redemption: Starting over (50:25), how he started his own business (54:00), learning about the opportunity for home depot from other founders and some early tactics to get traction for their stores (59:00), leave more on the table for the other guy than he thinks he should get (1:03:32)
How you can help Founders podcast
- Become a Founders member and get extra member only podcasts every week.
- Sign up for Founders Notes: A weekly email that helps you learn about building companies from entrepreneurs.
- Buy: I Love Capitalism: A Love Story (or one of the other books featured on Founders podcast) here. Amazon will send me a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.
- If you would rather listen to the book you can get two free audiobooks by trying Audible.
- Leave a review on Apple Podcasts (or anywhere you listen), take a screenshot, and email it to email@example.com and I will reply with podcasts that I created exclusively for reviewers.